Liturgy on the Margins is a site of conversation around diaconal ministry in the Australian Catholic Church.
This conversation has two main aims:
- PRESENT: To recognise, celebrate and promote diaconal ministry in Australia, especially as it is experienced through liturgy in marginal spaces and communities.
- FUTURE: To identify people and situations that yearn for such ministry, and potential leaders to carry out this ministry through formal Church endorsement.
This site furthers these aims by:
- Sharing stories of communities who experience liturgy on the margins or who yearn for such diaconal ministry. This includes individuals who lead or feel called to lead such ministry.
- Offering resources for discernment around the diaconate, particularly for those who are precluded by their gender from current discernment, formation and ordination programs.
- Highlighting supports and endorsements for people engaged in this discernment.
We keep some parameters around this conversation. We seek to:
- Keep a missionary and compassionate outlook, in line with Evangelii Gaudium and the agenda of the Australian Plenary Council.
- Promote the Church of the poor and for the poor.
- Build bridges among people, especially between marginal communities and the institutional Church.
- Form relationships with communities of ministry, from which liturgy arises and to which liturgy leads.
- Highlight the significance of the ordained diaconate and identify those with a capacity to respond to this call.
- Appreciate the Church and its mission, given by Jesus Christ, to promote the reign of God, nourished by its liturgical and sacramental tradition.
- Endorse the ability and responsibility of Church governance structures to provide for the liturgical needs of their people, by enabling willing ministers.
- Listen to all voices with respect and in a spirit of gospel love.
- Be open to creative and imaginative paths forward, led by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
At the same time, we try to avoid:
- Limiting the conversation to pastoral ministries that are currently encouraged for baptised Catholics.
- Broadening this conversation to other worthy topics, such as other governance roles, or other ministries that are ordained, installed or commissioned.
- Seeking positions or roles for the sake of power over others.
We seek God’s guidance in this journey together. St Phoebe and St Stephen, pray for us.